Living in the city has its advantages and disadvantages. A major disadvantage is privacy, especially outdoors. Of course, sound proofing your outdoor living space would be quite a challenge, the least you can do is hide away out of sight. Let’s take a look at some common ways to create privacy in your outdoor living space and some of the pros and cons of each.
There are many ways to add privacy to your outdoor living space. The most common are either plant, wood, or metal based. Each of them have their advantages and disadvantages and fit different budgets and skill levels. Let’s take a look at one of the most common methods of creating privacy, plants.
Plant walls can either be grown or bought in a plastic form. There are many different plant-based privacy products on the market today and are probably the cheapest way to create privacy. However if you aren’t looking for a maintenance heavier solution, growing a plant wall can take up alot of your time or become frustrating if you lack a green thumb.
- Cheap if you go with fake plant products.
- Can add more natural beauty to your outdoor living space.
- Help collect rain water if you plant real walls.
- Cheap fake plastic plants may lose leaves over time or discolor.
- Planting a wall takes time and dedication as well as skill.
- Living walls require maintenance, so if you’re busy this isn’t for you!
- Living walls and plants could leave a mess depending on what you plant and where.
- Depending on the area, watering these plants may come at an extra cost to you monthly.
Wood Privacy Walls
Wood based privacy solutions offer a contrast in color and look great paired with other metal products around your living space. It is common to see wood used in combination with metal to create a more modern and sharp look.
- Lower maintenance than plant based privacy.
- Longer lasting and easy to color match to other things using paint.
- Easily customizable with the right skill set and tools.
- Depending on your goal, multiple tools may be required. (expensive)
- Lumber has become increasingly expensive.
- Some skill required to create and assemble.
- Some maintenance is required over time as paint or finish may deteriorate.
- Wood is temperamental and can split and crack over time.
- Messy cleanup and installation.
- Spending hours designing then building depending on your goal.
Metal Privacy Screens - our DIY friendly system.
Metal privacy screens offer long term durability and provide a maintenance free approach. It is easy to install as it would require a drill and appropriate fasteners. Powder coated aluminum provides a weather resistant solution while retaining its color over time.
At Hideaway, we provide a simple 4-step DIY system that allows you to achieve a sleek, modern look with minimal tools and assistance. Not to mention a 30 Day money back policy! (Try returning wood or plants after you bought them and cut them… Not likely!)
- Long lasting durability
- Easy and relatively clean installation (compared to wood)
- Modern looking material that fits with almost any layout.
- Minimal tools required.
- Shipped directly to you.
- Maintenance free.
- Weather resistant.
- DIY friendly.
- The cost can be comparable to more intricate wood projects.
- May act as a conversation piece for an overly long period of time.
- You might have to help your friends out when they decide to order our screens as well. (Don’t worry, multiple designs are available from them to choose from so they can choose something different.)
Hideaway’s team of experts is ready to consult you on your next outdoor project. We’re here to consult you on our product and want to ensure a seamless experience. Not looking to DIY? No problem! We have a large network of contractors who are ready to help you install or design your new backyard layout.
Contact us if you have any questions or if you're a contractor at email@example.com or +1-866-933-6833.